Massage therapy is an effective treatment for a variety of illnesses. When performed correctly by a licensed therapist, this ancient form of medicine can relax tight muscles and ease tension. It can also alleviate pain and stiffness in the joints. The list of advantages of massage therapy goes on and on. The type of relief you are seeking, or the medical problem you are suffering from, will determine what type of massage therapist you need. There are several factors to consider to know how to find the right massage therapist for you.
The term “Massage Therapy” covers more than one type of treatment. There are actually five basic types of massages available today. If you’re looking treatment that will augment blood circulation and relieve aches and pains in your muscles and joints, then you need a professional who specializes in Swedish Massage.
- Swedish Massage was developed by a Dutch physician named Johan Georg Mezger. This treatment utilizes long, smooth strokes performed by the therapist’s hands. There are six basic movements used in a Swedish Massage. They are vibration, effleurage, tapotement, petrissage, friction, and compression.
- If you are an active person, and you participate in sports, then a “Sports Massage” might be better suited for you. The right massage therapist for you will know how to condition your muscles so you can better avoid injuries. He or she will also know how to massage and treat injuries that do happen when you play sports.
- A Chair Massage is the quickest type of massage therapy. As opposed to other types of massages that typically last thirty to ninety minutes, a Chair Massage only takes about fifteen minutes. Time is saved also because you don’t need to undress in order to get prepared.
If you’re short on time, yet you’re seeking a massage therapist who can relieve your tension and relax your body and mind, then you need a licensed professional who specializes in Chair Massage.
- A massage therapist who has been trained to perform Acupressure can also help you from injuring your active body. Acupressure is performed by the therapist using his or her thumbs and palms to place pressure. The pressure is applied to certain pressure points on the body that correlate with the aches and pains you’re suffering from.
Acupressure is also effective in relieving tension and stress, and in increasing blood circulation.
- If you suffer from chronic pain, such as from Fibromyalgia, the right massage therapist for you will be trained in Deep-Tissue Massage. Deep-Tissue Massage centers attention on one or more joints, muscles or clusters of muscles. As its name implies, the therapist uses his or her hands to press deep into the inner layers of tissue. By doing these movements, pain and stiffness is relieved. Deep-Tissue Massage can also be beneficial because it can be used to remove scar tissue.
Because this type of massage involves deep muscles and tissues in your body, you may be stiff and sore for a day or two after the treatment. Your massage therapist may tell you to drink plenty of water to help flush the toxins (that were released from your muscles and tissues) out of your body. He or she may also advise you to avoid heavy exertion for a day or two. An option for click now can be provided at the site for offering essential information to the person. Different types of treatment advice will be provided to the person there.
Besides looking for a professional who is trained in the type of massage you need, to find the right massage therapist for you, you should also make sure they are licensed to practice in your state. Ask him or her how long they have been practicing massage, and if they have any professional memberships. Being a member of the American Massage Therapy Association won’t guarantee their skills, but at least it will give you an indication they are serious about their chosen profession.