This gallery features select works of Devin Troy Strother from his recent collection of art titled “Front, Back, Side to Side“, released at the Richard Heller Gallery in Santa Monica, CA. Devin’s work is colorful, loud and conveys rich narratives. Narratives that are not usually contained and communicated on a canvas painting – were talking slang, word on the street, overheard on the subway, two chicks fighting at a party type of narrative. Through paper cut-outs, layers of paint, lots of scraps – Devin makes paintings that standout for their brilliant visual quality and detail.
- The Glitter Bitch Ceremony
- A Black John Baldessari in, “Nigga This is Art”
- A Black Brancusi in, “Nigga in a studio cuttin' up some rocks.”
- A Black Chris Burden in, “Shoot me in the arm nigga”
- A Black Marina Abramovic in “I’m gonna fuckin’ shoot you with this arrow”
- Black Gurrrl vs. White Gurrrl, "Fuck That Bitch."
- Black Gurrrl, White Gurrrl, "Reunited and it feels so, you know I love you gurrrl."
- Contemporary African Compositional Arrangements / Guuuuuurrrrrlllll, you need to consider the gestalt of perceptual organization “ said Moesha to Laquisha
- Contemporary African Compositional Arrangements / Guuuuuurrrrrlllll, Hallelujah Hallelujah, “I told you it was all about space relations and limitations” said Shay Shay to Sha’naynay
- Contemporary African Compositional Arrangements / Guuuuuurrrrrlllll, what’ch u know about visual equilibrium and our physical sense of balance
- Diana Ross and the Supremes on Board the Technicolor Slave Ship, (Gurrrrl we Goin’ Home)
- Follow Your Babies Mama (The great exodus out of Africa part 1)
- That's my gurrrl Quiesha
- The Coloureds series part 5 "Gurrrrl you know proximity, similarity, repetition, and rhythm are the keys to unity"
- The Hallelujah Hallelujah Series part 4, "Oh come on nigga and give me a hug."
- The Hallelujah Hallelujah series, part 6, “Inside outside upstairs downstairs, we’s everywhere’s
- Yay Yay, We're all of us here together, right here, right now
The photographs in this gallery of Devin’s work were provided by the Richard Heller Gallery.